The Importance of Art at Stock C of E Primary School
Art and design stimulates creativity and imagination. It provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences and a unique way of understanding and responding to the world. Through art children learn to make informed valued judgements and aesthetic and practical decisions, becoming actively involved in shaping environments. Understanding, appreciation and enjoyment of the visual arts have the power to enrich our personal and public lives.
In accordance with the aims of Stock School and the National Curriculum, in our Art and Design teaching we aim:-
- To arouse enjoyment and enthusiasm in Art and Design.
- To make links with other curriculum areas through Art and Design.
- To promote an appreciation of the range of human achievement and to lead the children to an appreciation of the skills and creations of others.
- Foster the acquisition of concepts, skills and knowledge commensurate with the child’s developmental stage through quality curriculum experiences and the National Curriculum.
- Foster natural curiosity and promote enquiry.
- To provide opportunities for creativity, to stimulate the senses and to encourage logical analytical thought.
Through our Art lessons we aim that –
- Children become visually literate, understanding the use of art as a form of visual and tactile communication.
- Children develop their aesthetic sensibilities and can make informed aesthetic judgments and evaluations in art.
- Children can articulate opinions about their own and others work in art.
- Children develop their intellectual and technical skills enabling them to communicate their imagination, original thought, personal expression and observation in art.
- Children value and enjoy the contribution made to their world by artists from many different cultures.
- Children know about the methods, styles and biographies of some artists and crafts people.
We have recently had an ‘artist week’ where each class studied a famous artist and their work creating their own interpretations of the art work.